About Board-Mounted Valances
Board-mounted valances are simply valances that are hung on a wooden board. Some features you may wish to consider with this style are:
- A great way to buy a heavy valance on a board without the inconvenience of shipping a heavy cornice.
- Valances come already hung/stapled on wood board, with metal angle brackets included for installation.
- No need for expensive drapery hardware.
- Valances can either be heavy, elaborate valances on wide boards, or they can be simple board-mounted valances.
- No visible rod pockets or redundant stitches – the fabric falls smoothly from behind the board.
A traditional empire valance in black and white.
Elaborate Valances on a Board
These valances are the perfect example of luxury. If you want your home to look like the pictures of mansions that you’ve seen in magazines, then this is the kind of valance to create that feel. These valances are heavy because of the weight of the board and the amount of fabric used. They typically are made with deeply pleated swags and jabots, and are often finished off with long trim.
Faux shade valances in breakfast area of kitchen.
Simple Valances on a Board
These types of valances are great when you want a board-mounted treatment but still want to keep it casual and modern. Some simpler styles can be inside-mounted to fit right in between the studs of your window frame. Even when outside-mounted, these valances can be on boards that don’t take up too much space so that the valance can fit around complicated windows and walls.